Siriunsun

My photo
In An Age Of Universal Deceit, Telling The Truth Is A Revolutionary Act.......George Orwell

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

School Uniforms In Kansas?

I read a commentary written by Ric Anderson for cjonline about dress code and schools this morning. In it, he ponders, because of gang identities conveyed by fashion choices, if it is time for Kansas to consider uniforms. He also states that anyone who does not think that Topeka has problems with gangs probably still believes in the Tooth Fairy. I should just ignore that, but instead, I am going to state that Topeka, and the rest of Kansas, really don't have problems with gangs, unless one considers the Methodist Church a gang.

For other reasons than gangs, the article seemed to kick up a lot of defensive sounding comments from readers who would not want uniforms as a dress code in their childrens' schools. I remember resisting such things as a kid, but I don't think uniforms really hurt me, or my siblings. In fact, one year, when Dad was in the hospital, toward the end of his life, and my sister needed a uniform to start school, no one had gotton a chance to shop with her, and about a week before the first day of school, all the local stores were out of uniforms and white blouses that went with uniforms in my sister's size. My stepmother begged me to pull out my sewing machine and make her a jumper. I did, thinking it would look horrible, but to my surprise, it looked great, and she was the "belle of the ball" on the first day of school! I don't think any of us missed the teasing and "fashion bullying" that often goes on in schools, either. But people who have never worn uniforms for any reason seem to think that all individaul identity fades away when kids attend schools that have dress codes and uniforms.

No uniform can really rob a person of personal identity, any more than a party dress can give a spoiled brat a personality. What clothing can do is establish professionalism. I take myself seriously, therefore I dress as if I want you to take me seriously, too, when I am at work. Apparel can also convey respect; if I am going to be in your office for some reason, I will dress like I take you and your work seriously, not as if I am on a picnic. Hopefully, you will pick up on the cue and treat me with respect, as well. But a polieman's unform, a soldier's uniform, or a judge's robes do not make any of them alike. Students will not necessarily be turned into conformists, either, if they have dress codes, and (gasp) even other rules...................

People also bellyache about the cost of school uniforms, but how many of you have been shopping for teenage girls lately? I have two teenage girls and one ten year old girl, so I think I am a pretty good authority on the subject of the prices of fashion for school aged girls. I also know that uniforms would be a lot less expensive.

So........as a Kansas parent, I would not mind if schools had stricter dress codes or uniforms. It would not bother me in the slightest if my children were forced to express their individuality by getting the best grades, or creating the best art, producing the best music, or starting up the most needed volunteer efforts while in school, instead of insisting on the latest fashions, which, in my opinion, is just another boring form of lazy conformity.

Oh; here's Ric Anderson's article.

No comments: