Siriunsun

My photo
In An Age Of Universal Deceit, Telling The Truth Is A Revolutionary Act.......George Orwell

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Siri Automated Smart Alec

Over the past month or so, I have gotton lots and lots of hits to my blog with various search words accompanied by the name, "Siri". I guess I should not be surprised, because of the app that goes by that name. But seriously....some of the things that people look for in conjunction to "Siri" are sooo amusing! Lets see..........we have "is Siri as smart as she thinks she is", "is Siri sexy", "can Siri see the police before I do", (WTF?) I also get, "Siri pet care", "Siri directions", "Siri answers", "Siri translator(tion)", "Siri cholesterol calculate", "Siri insult generator",(!!!) and "Siri automated smart alec", among many, many others! I'm gonna have to say, it's that last one that makes me wonder about everyone the most! I mean......why would anyone need an "Automated Siri Smart Alec" when the real deal is sitting right here, at her keyboard?!

To digress a little bit, "Siri" has been a moniker for my online presence for years, now. In 2003, I wanted to toss out a couple of comments on a local news site called "Your4State", that served West Virginia, parts of Maryland, Northern Virginia, and southern Pennsylvania, and the site would not let me post anonymously. It made me create an account and choose an online "nickname". As it happened, I had just read something about the star system "Sirius" a few minutes prior to this, and the star system was all could think of, for a decent moniker. So.....Siriunsun it was! Eventually, another poster began calling me "Siri" whenever he addressed me online, and even more eventually, he began to even call me "Siri" in person, saying he thought I was more of a "Siri" than a "Juli"! I don't know if that was a compliment or not, since "Juli" is normally interpreted to mean "young", (loosely translated Romance languages) while "Siri" can either mean "star" or "burning one", (Greek) or "wise", as in "old one". (Germanic languages) At my age, I am not sure I should have let that person get away with it! Hahahahahaha!

So...the name of my blog has nothing to do with modern cell phones or apps thereof; it has everything to with ancient star systems and astronomy. But I can still be a competent smart alec, if one just gives me the chance!


                                                                     Sirius Star System
                                                                                  from
                                                                   a cell phone star app!

No comments: