Siriunsun

My photo
In An Age Of Universal Deceit, Telling The Truth Is A Revolutionary Act.......George Orwell

Monday, April 8, 2013

A Huge Thankyou To The Horatio Alger Association

My daughter just got a scholarship from the Horatio Alger Association. The association, named after Horatio Alger, who wrote many novels about people going from "rags to riches", was established in 1947 for students who aspire to attain college education but whose families cannot afford it. My daughter has always been precocious, creative, and a brilliant student. I have always been very proud of her, and have always had high expectations of her. Whether she knows it or not, she has always exceeded my expectations. Unfortunately, a family law court judge in West Virginia used yours truly and children as an example of how a divorced mom can be forced to pay for the privelege of escaping domestic violence, and expressed, not only disdain for me while in court, but rage at my daughter for answering a policeman's questions after a domestic violence incident. The judge was determined to do all she could to make sure that there would never be enough money for my daughter to attend college, and denied us everything from child support to justice. The hardships that followed certainly took their toll on our family, but I always insisted that my children learn, think, and do their very best in school. My daughter will graduate from high school this year as the valedictorian of her class, despite the opinions of anyone who did not like us because we lacked a white picket fence, cable TV, and lots of stupid video games.

A huge "Thankyou" from a grateful mom, Horatio Alger Association! You gave my daughter an opportunity she never would have had, otherwise. I met some of the others in the honors program at the college she has chosen, and am very impressed with the school and with it's students. She is overjoyed to go to college this fall, and I am very happy for her!

Thankyou, also, for believing in my daughter's talent and ability. She has always exceeded my expectations, but it is very encouraging to know that others can see the wondeful things about her that I see. Today, and for the rest of my life, I am a very proud mom!



 

1 comment:

Karen said...

Juli please congratulate your daughter for her amazing well earned accomplishment you've got to be so proud. With the hardships that you've had to face you're both proof that anything is possible. I so happy for you both. Stay strong as I know you will.