Siriunsun

My photo
In An Age Of Universal Deceit, Telling The Truth Is A Revolutionary Act.......George Orwell

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Deadly Cucumbers

Deadly cucumbers? Is that anything like The Attack Of The Killer Tomatos? I guess I am showing my age by mentioning that movie!! Haha!

Ok......E Coli is a chance we all take when we have our fresh food shipped from port to port, after harvesting. E Coli is everywhere, but we are much more immune to our own E Coli than to E Coli that originates far away from from us. I don't know if there is actually a way to ensure that proper handwashing technique is employed by all of those employed, from growing the deadly cucumbers to stocking them in the grocery stores, but if there is, it has not been discovered yet. The most recent outbreak making the headlines is going through Europe, and appears to have started in Spain.

The only true failsafe here is probably to grow one's own veggies, or buy them locally grown. Because I have environmental allergies, I have always tried to buy locally grown veggies, anyway, to boost my immunity to allergens. And.......I have a big garden, so I can grow a lot of my own stuff. The last time I lived in a place where there was no room for a decent sized garden, my neighbor and I pooled our space directly in front of our townhouses and grew some tomatos and peppers. In about six square feet, we got so many tomatoes that we had to give bags and bags full to our cohorts at work! I had so many, that I even gave some to someone with whom I'd had a falling out at work, and a fence got mended!

I also grow my own oregano and thyme. Did you know oregano and thyme are great sources of folic acid? Oregano is very hardy, and can be used as a flowerless border plant, covering bare spots. I think it can probably grow anywhere. Thyme will spread the same way phlox does, only you can flavor spaghetti and pizza with it. There are many ways to grow a few of you own herbs and veggies, and cut down on the problems that occur from shipping food from places that are too distant.

No comments: