Siriunsun

My photo
In An Age Of Universal Deceit, Telling The Truth Is A Revolutionary Act.......George Orwell

Friday, May 13, 2011

Kansas Failed In Attempt To Dodge Accountability In Education

Kansas does not want to bother to educate it's children.

Today, Kansas was told by Washington DC that it has to teach children according to national standards. Kansas had sought an exception to this. From reading the news articles and talking to teachers and educators involved, I am given to understand that it is mostly test scores in math and reading. Now; I have six children in Kansas school, and while my husband's kids, who have always lived in Kansas, struggle greatly to meet Kansas standards, my own children are not challenged enough. My children used to attend school on the East Coast.

I think I can shed some light on this. While children in Kansas schools struggle to read, they all seem to know that everything the bible says is literally true, even if they do not understand the context of the given scripture. My son's sixth grade teacher, a wonderful teacher in many ways, actually teaches Jewish history and culture by showing the kids the movie, The Ten Commandments, every year. There has never been a single student so far, except my own child, who has watched that movie in her class and been able to report which Jewish holy day that movie is about! Not very educational.

There is a lot of controversy here in Kansas about teaching creation in science instead of evolution. If Kansas switches over to that, they way Governer Brownback wishes, I will home school all of my children. I want my children to be prepared for college. Brownback wants my children to be trapped in Kansas, with no options in life and no chances of studying at a decent university.

The former director of the Special Education Department of our school system here also got extreemly upset with me for my insistance that my gifted and talented daughter learn a second language. Her exact words were: "I don't know why it's so important to learn any language besides English". If that does not speak for itself, then I probably cannot convince you that Kansas has a few problems with it's education of children.

Perhaps it is time for me to write a letter to Washington, and send it, along with copies of every letter that yours truly has sent every person or agency every time a problem has come up that has adversely affected one of my children. I don't think these people are aware that I have a hard file consisting of documentation of all of these items. I am overjoyed to hear that Kansas has gotton it's engraved invitation to start teaching it's children.

No comments: