Siriunsun

My photo
In An Age Of Universal Deceit, Telling The Truth Is A Revolutionary Act.......George Orwell

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Caleb Stewart's Case After Eighteen Months

How long does Kansas take to investigate a complaint about a daycare? How many reports of abuse, injury, or untimely death do they need in order to justify the expenses involved in gathering information and making a quality decision about who gets a license to operate a daycare, and who does not? According to the latest information, brought to us by WIBW, the death of a child will bring an investigation and a decision in about a year and a half. That's how long it took Child Protective Services in Kansas to substantiate the charges, concerning a wrongful death, finally brought against Tara Johnson, the home daycare provider; and Destiny McClusky, a random friend of Tara's who had no real business in Tara's workplace.

In February of 2013, five month old Caleb Stewart was dropped off at daycare by his mom, Misty Durham. Later that day, he died. Tara Johnson was not on the premises, which she should have been, and her boyfriend, Russel Morris and the aforementioned friend, Destiny McClusky, were watching the children. Anywhere besides Kansas, this would lead to charges and a lawsuit. As is stands, Johnson, Morris, and McClusky probably do not have the assets to settle a lawsuit for wrongful death, and since Kansas was allowing this daycare to operate without a license and failing to substantiate the complaints that led to the situation that cost Caleb his life, Johnson's daycare was not covered by insurance, either. But then, about ninety-five percent of public schools in Kansas did not have insurance when school started in 2013, either.

Chad Taylor, the prosecutor in Topeka, Kansas, has declined to press any charges at all in this case. He presses charges when the children of richer, better connected parents die in daycares, but not Caleb Stewart's death. Taylor even retaliated against Misty Durham by having her arrested for an old traffic violation when she called his office to ask about the status of the case! Does he think that forcing different social classes to exist in Kansas and denying justice to people he simply doesn't like are going to get him elected again? And is child protective services in Kansas really attempting to protect children? Or do they only respond when they find children who are alive and marketable, and whose parents don't know their rights and cannot afford legal representation?  How many other children have been in harm's way during the eighteen months it took them to glance at Caleb Stewart's case?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

D.a office had me fax copies of my paperwork to them today! Reluctantly they decided they better see what these papers say before making final decision on their stand on this! I can't stop praying for them to make right decision

Juli Henry said...

Amen to that! I hope they do the right thing and prosecute; otherwise, they send the wrong message. Thankyou for getting back to me about that, I'm happy to hear it.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate all your help on this! Chad Taylor will either make the decision to prosecute or he will answer for why at every debate he is in while running for united States Senate if he can't do the job he has now then why the hell would we even consider giving him another one? We as citizens count on him! My son is counting on him right now and I pray he don't let him down! Jackie spralding from his office seems to be making most the decisions now.... kinda makes me wonder who is running for d.a in his place? If its her I hope she realizes she also will be held accountable for her decision! We as citizens adults count on them doing their job. But if they let the children down there could be some real bad publicity holding them accountable. I.d hate to see that on election year cause every minute I normally would have spent holding my sin will be spent making voters aware if Caleb's story and his realistically this could be any family going through this! We better do something change something I wouldn't wish this on any family!

Juli Henry said...

Thankyou for getting back to me; it's always nice to hear a positive comment! And you sound like a very loving, caring mom, so Chad Taylor should be very, very concerned that you plan to spend every minute that you normally would have spent holding your son to making voters aware of his "methods"! No sane politician wants an angry mom, or a whole horde of angry moms, trailing him! That's probably the best thing you can do with your energy and strength right now, and Kansas certainly needs it! Children are not important enough here.

Anonymous said...

Oh believe me kids are extremely important here we just didn't realize the damn glitch. I.be got more court officials casa workers SRS moms foster workers and respected people backing me up unfortunately I.he had to get help couple times but I.be made some good friends doing it. And this fight for justice is backed by way more than just me! I.be returned to my home town and chad Taylor has no idea what's coming to him these ladies have made a profession out ta protecting kids that substantiated report was all they needed to back me with all they got. They will help me protest at debates I got six months left

Juli Henry said...

I will help you protest at debates, too, and so will a couple, two or three people around here! Not that many people had really heard about Caleb, and this story has opened a few eyes.

Anonymous said...

I really need help and that would be so awesome I kinda don't know what I.m doing I just do the best I can! I. Have never even been to a debate before but I.d sure like to go now

Anonymous said...

Could use your help d.a office puts me straight too voicemail now playing old games!

Juli Henry said...

I'll try to get in touch tomorrow.